Proceeds benefit the Telluride Society for Jazz and are tax deductible as a charitable contribution on personal taxes.
The original artwork piece behind the 2018 Telluride Jazz Festival poster is now on auction! To build this year's poster, the festival staff took a fine piece of Telluride-inspired art from award winning painter Wayne Mckenzie and formatted it to suit our lineup poster.
This one-of-a-kind piece was created using the "plein air' technique right on Telluride's Main Street. To our festival staff, the historic buildings depicted in this piece are symbolic of the Telluride Jazz Festival's 42 year-old legacy, capturing the irreplaceable excitement of strolling down Main Street to an event in our stunning Town Park.
Painter Wayne McKenzie's source of inspiration was the breathtaking view seen on Colorado Avenue, "Main Street", in downtown Telluride featuring the town's colorful Victorian-era homes, clapboard storefronts, boutiques, art galleries, gourmet restaurants, historic buildings and more. McKenzie's vibrant rendition of this iconic view encompasses the small town mountain charm for which Telluride has become famous.
If you love the artwork, bid online to take home this one-of-a-kind original painting. Bid on the piece online here, or on-site at the festival's Merchandise Tent and Patron Concierge Station (next to the patron lounge bar) until Sunday, August 5th at 6 pm. The starting bid is $3,500 and the piece is valued at $6,000.
The piece was sourced from Telluride's Ellinof Gallery of fine art and jewelry, making this benefit auction possible!
ABOUT THE ARTIST
The Artist - Wayne Mckenzie's art emanates a laid back confidence that is a reflection of his Australian upbringing. With loose brushwork and bold use of color, he brings a unique perspective to the contemporary North American art world. Wayne's strong sense of design is derived from the Aboriginal art of his native Australia. His paintings are a visual journey that allows the essence of his subject matter to come to life.
After establishing a reputation as a talented plein air artist in Colorado by winning multiple awards at the state's premier plein air event, Wayne moved his family to the competitive Californian market. His arrival has resulted in a flood of accolades and awards including First Place at the 2013 Napa Valley Art Festival, Best of Show at the 2012 Holiday Treasures Salon, "Peoples Choice" at the 2017 and 2016 Telluride Plein Air Festival, 2nd Place at the 2013 Los Gatos Plein Air Festival, 2nd Place at both the 2017 Carmel Plein Air Festival and the 2014 Los Gatos Plein Air Festival, and jurors choice at California Art Club's "Waterscapes" Exhibition. Wayne was chosen as a finalist in both the 2013 and 2014 Plein Air Salon, a national competition presented by Plein Air Magazine.
Wayne has appeared in various publications throughout the United States. He was most recently honored as a feature artist in the hardcover book "Best of Artists-Oil-Global edition" by Kennedy Publishing. A renowned art critic once wrote, "Anyone who doesn't love a Mckenzie, must have a low opinion of joy....big personality- big work" and went on to describe his work as having, "a delightful sense of movement, vibration and exuberance." He currently divides his time between his studios in Lake Tahoe, California and Telluride, Colorado.
His work appears in private collections throughout North America, Europe and Australasia.
ABOUT THE TELLURIDE SOCIETY FOR JAZZ
Auction proceeds benefit the Telluride Society for Jazz. The Telluride Society for Jazz is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) education organization working in collaboration with the Telluride Jazz Festival and presenting the "Society Stage" at Elks Park, Telluride Student All-Stars Jazz Ensemble and other year-round artist workshops, student education programs and community outreach events.
- The auction is open now and will close at 6 pm (MT), Sunday, August 5, 2018.
- Starting August 3 at 12:30 pm, the auction will also be available at the festival Merchandise Tent and at the Patron Concierge Station. The online auction will remain open until August 5.
- The "Auction Winner" is the highest bidder. Winner will be announced from the Telluride Jazz Festival Main Stage at 7 pm (MT) Sunday, August 5. You do not have to be present to win.
- Winner will be contacted and will have 24 hours to claim and pay for the piece. If winner does not claim said piece in this time frame, they will forfeit the winnings and the next highest bidder will be offered the piece.
- If shipment is required, winner assumes all shipping and handling costs to deliver piece to destination.
- Bidding opportunities are unlimited.
- "Current Price" or highest bid will be updated daily Monday through Friday every 24 hours at 9 am (MT) July 12 - August 3. During the festival, the "Current Price" will be updated every 4 hours.
- 50% of winning bid funds are allocated to the Elinoff Gallery to help cover cost of piece.
- 50% of winning bid funds benefit the Telluride Society for Jazz and are tax deductible as a charitable contribution on personal taxes.
- For questions, please contact us here.