The original artwork piece behind the 2018 Telluride Jazz Festival poster is now on auction! To build this year's poster, the festival staff took a fine piece of Telluride-inspired art from award winning painter Wayne Makenzie and formatted it to suit our lineup poster. This one-of-a-kind piece was created using the "plein air' technique right on Telluride's Main Street (Colorado Ave). Fully influenced by the charm of Main Street the art depicts a beautiful Telluride summer day featuring the iconic courthouse clocktower and Sheridan Building. To the festival staff, the historic buildings depicted in this piece represent the Telluride Jazz Festival's 42 year-old legacy, while capturing the irreplaceable excitement of strolling down Main Street to a event in the stunning Telluride Town Park.
If you love the artwork, bid online to take home this one-of-a-kind original painting. Bid on the piece here, at the Merchandise Tent and at the Patron Concierge Station (next to the patron lounge bar) during the festival until Sunday, August 5, at 6 PM. The starting bid is $3,500 and the piece is valued at $6,000.
Auction proceeds benefit the Telluride Society for Jazz and are tax deductible as a charitable contribution.
Click artwork to enlarge.
Current Highest Bid: $3,500
Enter The Auction
About the piece and artist
The Piece - This one-of-a-kind piece was created using the "plein air' technique right on Telluride's Main Street (Colorado Ave). Fully influenced by the charm of Main Street the art depicts a beautiful Telluride summer day featuring the iconic courthouse clocktower and Sheridan Building. To the festival staff, the historic buildings depicted in this piece represent the Telluride Jazz Festival's 42 year-old legacy, while capturing the irreplaceable excitement of strolling down Main Street to a event in the stunning Telluride Town Park.
The Artist -Wayne Mckenzie's art emanates a laid back confidence that is a reflection of his Australian upbringing. With loose brushwork and bold use of color, he brings a unique perspective to the contemporary North American art world. Wayne's strong sense of design is derived from the Aboriginal art of his native Australia. His paintings are a visual journey that allows the essence of his subject matter to come to life.
After establishing a reputation as a talented plein air artist in Colorado by winning multiple awards at the state's premier plein air event, Wayne moved his family to the competitive Californian market. His arrival has resulted in a flood of accolades and awards including First Place at the 2013 Napa Valley Art Festival, Best of Show at the 2012 Holiday Treasures Salon, "Peoples Choice" at the 2017 and 2016 Telluride Plein Air Festival ,2nd Place at the 2013 Los Gatos Plein Air Festival, 2nd Place at both the 2017 Carmel Plein Air Festival and the 2014 Los Gatos Plein Air Festival, and jurors choice at California Art Club's "Waterscapes" Exhibition. Wayne was chosen as a finalist in both the 2013 and 2014 Plein Air Salon, a national competition presented by Plein Air Magazine.
Wayne has appeared in various publications throughout the United States. He was most recently honored as a feature artist in the hardcover book "Best of Artists-Oil-Global edition" by Kennedy Publishing. Renowned art critic Susan Viebrock wrote, "Anyone who doesn't love a Mckenzie, must have a low opinion of joy....big personality- big work" and went on to describe his work as having, "a delightful sense of movement, vibration and exuberance." He currently divides his time between his studios in Lake Tahoe, California and Telluride, Colorado.
His work appears in private collections throughout North America, Europe and Australasia.
About The Telluride Society for Jazz
Auction proceeds benefit the Telluride Society for Jazz. The Telluride Society for Jazz is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) education organization working in collaboration with the Telluride Jazz Festival and presenting the "Society Stage" at Elks Park, Telluride Student All-Stars Jazz Ensemble, and other year-round artist workshops, student education programs and community outreach events.
- The auction is open now and will close at 6 PM (MT), Sunday, August 5, 2018.
- Starting August 3 at 12:30 PM the auction will also be available at the festival Merchandise Tent and at the Patron Concierge Station. The online auction will remain open until August 5.
- The "Auction Winner" is the highest bidder. Winner will be announced from the Telluride Jazz Festival Main Stage at 7 PM (MT) Sunday, August 5. You do not have to be present to win.
- Winner will be contacted and will have 24 hours to claim and pay for the piece. If winner does not claim said piece in this time frame, they will forfeit the winnings and the next highest bidder will be offered the piece.
- If shipment is required, winner assumes all shipping and handling costs to deliver piece to destination.
- Bidding opportunities are unlimited.
- "Current Price" or highest bid will be updated daily Monday through Friday every 24 hours at 9am (MT) July 12 - August 3. During the festival, the "Current Price" will be updated every 4 hours.
- 50% of winning bid funds are allocated to the Elinoff Gallery to help cover cost of piece.
- 50% of winning bid funds benefit the Telluride Society for Jazz and are tax deductible as a charitable contribution on personal taxes.
- For questions, please contact us here.